Tags: Projects

Duke Nukem Forever

Duke Is Totally Takei The Duke Nukem Forever demo is out. I can't even convey how surreal it is to me to be typing those words. But anyway, I've been poking around the demo for the last couple of days, and a new version of Noesis is up now that supports extracting 5 different variants of its included .dat packages.

The picture is of the world's first (well, probably) right and proper DNF content mod, with Duke sporting his brand new Takei Pride tanktop. Noesis spits out all of the info you need to re-inject textures while it's extracting them, and I've already got a fully functional repacker that I intend to release sometime relatively soon. I've also finished hammering out the model format now, and Noesis v3.27 and later can view/export them.

Duke modelDuke model
Duke modelDuke model

The process of exporting the models is pretty simple, but requires a few steps. Here's a step by step of what you need to do.

1) Using Noesis, extract the contents SkinMshes/defs.dat, SkinMeshes/meshes.dat, and SkinMeshes/skels.def. By default, Noesis will want to extract these to separate folders. You don't want this, and instead you want to extract them all to a single folder. (e.g. "c:\steam\steamapps\common\duke nukem forever demo\SkinMeshes\allfiles")

2) Browse to the .msh of your choice in Noesis and open it.

3) If .skl or .def files cannot be found automatically you will be prompted for them. Additionally, Noesis will attempt to find MegaPackage.dat and TextureDirectory.dat relative to the path of the .msh file. If it cannot, you will be prompted for those files as well.

4) Export and enjoy. Note that materials are still a work in progress, and it can't automatically find the right materials in most cases. But certain models are working. (like Duke and one of the Holsom twins)

I've got model re-import/modification working, but the material situation limits it pretty severely. In the coming days/weeks, I'll be continuing to reverse that data and trying to figure out a reasonable process for replacing/overriding assets that doesn't involve rebuilding all of the game's packages.

Also, if you haven't heard yet, you can play the vehicle sequence in first-person. It's much nicer this way.

Update: I've successfully exported a model to COLLADA, modified it (re-weighted, added and modified geometry, modified the texture), re-exported it to .msh using my in-progress Noesis exporter, and got it to load in the demo. Have a look:

Wait for the scene with the twins.
Share:

Comments

129 comments in total.

IP: 76.203.195.71

LUBDAR

November 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm (CST)
I would think that this would be one of the more narrow avenues to query whether or not there was interest in a title. Larger forums with more daily traffic would probably yield a better response than the one you're getting right now.

hope this helps...

IP: 99.188.40.155

Exatrive

November 18, 2011 at 4:01 am (CST)
Just curios if anyone had any interest in the Saints Row the Third character formats. just passing by because there had been some interest by the mod community but lack of a proper understanding of the format.. They never even figured out Saints Row 2 format.

And with how the future DLC is going to be handled it seems like a lot of stuff might be locked down to prevent this..

Like I said.. just curios.

IP: 12.21.1.3

LUBDAR

October 27, 2011 at 1:27 pm (CST)
It is nice to see people making more contributions

IP: 99.21.103.174

Rich Whitehouse

October 24, 2011 at 9:42 pm (CST)
I've barely put a dent in the vodka, but I could use some more Captain. And some more Sapporo.

IP: 99.147.87.249

LUBDAR

October 24, 2011 at 2:39 am (CST)
I like how I made it into the Readme!!
I can't imagine you got through that bottle of Absolut already?!

IP: 110.174.41.198

HeWhoWas

October 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm (CST)
Don't wish that upon Rich. A job is a necessary evil to tolerate, until such time that he can afford enough alcohol to drink himself into a coma.

IP: 99.147.87.249

Mr. Jackson

October 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm (CST)
You're MOST certainly welcome!!! ahhh what a double edged sword, I hope you will always have a job but also love seeing lots of updates.
Keep doing what you do, and I'll gladly continue help blurring your weekends!!!

IP: 99.21.103.174

Rich Whitehouse

October 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm (CST)
Well, if you can understand Blender Python, you can understand (and probably get more effective use from) Noepy as the kids like to call it. So, good luck with that.

I've never really formally gone through and stated which games I have interest in. I have a few long-running interests that I want to get around to, like various FF models and anims, T3B anims, and a bunch of other crap, but higher-priority immediate things usually come around and prevent me from even getting to that list. The latest thing on my queue is looking into some multi-mesh Source MDL files for chrrox. I don't personally give a rat's ass about Source MDL files, but that format is already in there, so I treat improving it as a higher priority than adding new formats. That one's been sitting there untouched for a few days now. I'm not sure I'll even get to it this weekend, because work has really been sucking my code-motivation out lately.

If I suddenly become jobless again I'll probably power through most of my queue pretty quickly, but I otherwise expect I'll continue crawling along at a snail's pace, spending most of my weekends drunk on vodka.

IP: 99.147.87.249

LUBDAR

October 1, 2011 at 12:18 am (CST)
It's all good, I was able to explore some of it using the python scripts and blender. If I learn how I'll try and work on a plug-in for the community.
Is there a place on your site where you have the games you're interested, I've gained some idea from the posts on this blog, and from the another Forum, but I was just curious.
Take care until next time, I appreciate your reply
Lubdar

IP: 99.21.103.174

Rich Whitehouse

September 30, 2011 at 9:49 pm (CST)
I have it, but it's back at my house in Arizona. I've never looked at the disc contents, and don't really plan to. But who knows. If it happens, it's not likely to be in the next year or so, between work and the stack of other games I'd rather look into.

Comment Pages:
Previous ... 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next

Name:

Enter the following (refresh if you can't read it):
Read image

Comment:

2784089 page hits since February 11, 2009.

Site design and contents (c) 2009 Rich Whitehouse. Except those contents which happen to be images or screenshots containing shit that is (c) someone/something else entirely. That shit isn't really mine. Fair use though! FAIR USE!
All works on this web site are the result of my own personal efforts, and are not in any way supported by any given company. You alone are responsible for any damages which you may incur as a result of this web site or files related to this web site.